Because

This movie is probably racist, sexist, and homophobic. And I'm gonna talk about it, even though it's not remotely current.

Femmebot: Bringing you the creme de la crap since 2010.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Medication is Wearing Off

Either the medication is wearing off or the 2010 reboot of the Karate Kid franchise is the BEST MOVIE EVER. I didn't cry at the cinematic adaptations of The End of the Affair, nor The English Patient, but I cried when I cried when the small, wiry, superbuff twelve-year-old Jaden Smith made an earnest appeal for the approval of his (incredibly awesomely-haired) love interest's father, I cried during the tournament, and I cried when Jackie Chan got drunk and cried. To concede just a little, it was a nice moment of acting in a film full of nice moments of acting by Jackie Chan.

As for Jaden Smith, let us speak plainly. Until someone gives him bad advice or too much money, I think we will find him to be very much the next Will Smith: relatable, charming, and completely nonthreatening to white people. This is not a critique of any of the Smith lineage; it's a critique of scared white people.

Quitting psych meds is a lot like going on a bender. So bear with me, gentle reader, because now I am going to watch The Kids are All Right, and I will probably want to shoot it, even if though it has Julianna Moore. Kissing women, even!

Basically I'm going to cry my way through 2010's cinema. I promise you, I'll get back to pre 9-11 movies with poignant or antiquated political relevance and weird shit with impossible marine life. Until then, I leave you with this nugget of alternate scenery, which I like to call the No Character Continuity Super Special Obligatory Jackie Chan Moment. The Real Meaning of Kung Fu According to Jackie Chan aside, I think a producer who had not read the script ordered them to have two minutes of Chan doing some signature fight choreography. So that's not gone to waste, until the internet link goes sour...

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is not a forum for the debating of the existence of sexism, homophobia, racism, classism, transphobia, ableism, or any of the other major forms of intersecting oppressions. OMG, THERE ARE SO MANY OTHER PLACES YOU CAN DO THAT!

Also, disagree with me and each other all you like! I love that! If you noticed I said something fucked up about oppression, or if your expertise in your own oppression gives you a better view, and if you are feeling generous enough to share that with me!? I embrace that!

Just be respectful. No name calling, No verbally attacking people. Please, my three readers and twenty-five spambots have feelings too, you know.