Because

This movie is probably racist, sexist, and homophobic. And I'm gonna talk about it, even though it's not remotely current.

Femmebot: Bringing you the creme de la crap since 2010.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Lie With Me, Pt. 2: I Finally Finished It, Wish I Hadn't

No one got hit by a car, but I started to wish they would.

I think what killed this movie for me was the scene in which Eric Balfour's character acted alternately jealous, controlling, and forceful, then initiated anal sex without any semblance of consent while repeating "Promise you'll never leave me." The scene reads easily, way too easily, as rape. And from that scene on, Lauren Lee Smith's character begins to use the word "love" about him.

Disturbingly, this becomes a happily ever after story with a hornier than usual princess narrator. It's the taming of the shrew with a weird nod to rape culture.

Sometimes when you think you've found a bisexual sundae, you find that the brown stuff isn't really hot fudge.

I'm just sayin', if there is going to be rough sex in a movie, set it up with enthusiastic consent rather than abusive behavior (I'm looking at you, Twilight.).

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is not a forum for the debating of the existence of sexism, homophobia, racism, classism, transphobia, ableism, or any of the other major forms of intersecting oppressions. OMG, THERE ARE SO MANY OTHER PLACES YOU CAN DO THAT!

Also, disagree with me and each other all you like! I love that! If you noticed I said something fucked up about oppression, or if your expertise in your own oppression gives you a better view, and if you are feeling generous enough to share that with me!? I embrace that!

Just be respectful. No name calling, No verbally attacking people. Please, my three readers and twenty-five spambots have feelings too, you know.